Home Mixer? Least Cost Rations for Poultry Made Simple!

The Rural Poultry Centre in Malawi is piloting a new service to supply least cost ration formulae to smallholder poultry producers. We can provide information for a reasonably wide range of locally available feed ingredients.

How it works:

You tell us:

  • what quality of feed you want to mix and for what type of poultry;
  • how much you pay for each of your ingredients.

We tell you:

  • how many kgs of each ingredient will give you the feed you want at the cheapest price.

Interested? Contact us.

Some of the ingredients we can work with:
Fish dried
Groundnut meal
Leucaena leaves dried
Lysine
Methionine
Madeya; maize bran
Maize whole crushed
Molasses
Pigeon pea
Rice bran, hi quality B
Sorghum grain
Soybean meal
Soybean oil
Soybean, roasted crushed
Sunflower meal
Sunflower seed


Some words of caution:
Data sources are not perfect...

The main source of information for the nutrient data underpinning this least cost ration program is the website Feedipedia which is a joint project of INRA (National Institute for Agricultural Research), CIRAD (International Centre for Agricultural Development), AFZ (French Association for Animal Production) and FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations).

The data comes from sources all around the world. Quality and specifications of feed ingredients differ depending on the location and supplier and there can be no guarantee that the data used here apply precisely to ingredients found in Malawi. They will be a reasonable estimate at best.

RPC cannot and does not warrant that the information derived in its least cost ration program accurately reflects the characteristics of feed ingredients available from local suppliers. Only a professional laboratory analysis of the materials can provide confirmation of the estimates we have derived from published data.

Mix your feed well...

Thorough mixing of feed ingredients is essential to avoid imbalances in the intake by individual chickens. Do not underestimate the importance of this step. There is ample information and guidance published on the internet and elsewhere.

When changing feed, phase the changeover...

Avoid any abrupt change of diet. If you are changing to a new feed, introduce it gradually - perhaps something like 25% of the total ration on day one, 50% on day two, 75% on day three, and 100% on day four.

Test your new feed...

Avoid a wholesale change to a new ration without precautions. It may be desirable to test feed a small number of chickens with a new ration and see the result before you commit to a full scale change.



pic20141024_114459-75pc600px.jpg
RPC Volunteers Program
A new initiative



small_p1050707.jpg
A quarter million chickens and counting...



Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Email